Looking for an underground tour that's a bit more on the wild side?
This April and May, we're offering limited excursions into the MASSIVE chambers at Maenofferen - the first time the chambers have been open to members of the public since the last of them closed in the late 90's.
Here's what you can expect to see along the carefully planned route...
- Ascend by Quarry Explorer truck to 1332 feet above sea level.
- See a huge abandoned slate mill on a Welsh mountainside.
- Explore part of a mine which is almost 2 km long and worked on 10 floors containing vast underground chambers.
- Descend the back-vein incline 260 feet to Floor B (Mill is at 1332 feet and B Floor at 1072 feet).
- See a round tunnel cut by a tunneling machine in the 1860’s.
- See inclines which were operated by steam and the electricity.
- Experience total darkness!
- Look down the B31 incline to the water 188 feet below with flooded workings which extend for another 250 feet.
- Be underneath a lake!
- Climb the miner’s staircase.
This isn't your typical Llechwedd tour, and as such you'll need to dress appropriately. We advise that you dress as you would for a lengthy walk in the hills. We would suggest:
- Warm layers, and a water proof jacket.
- Waterproof trousers or walking trousers.
- Walking/Builders boots or Wellington boots.
- We will be providing sturdy gloves, a helmet and strong head lamp.
- We can also provide boiler suits if needed, please ask when kitting up.
**The right footwear in particular is absolutely ESSENTIAL. Anyone wearing trainers, flip flops etc. will not be allowed to participate**
Check back here soon for more details and how too book this exclusive tour...
SIGN UP FOR THE MAENOFFEREN UNDERGROUND TOURS BY CLICKING HERE
Tours will run on the weekends of the 27th & 28th of April, and 4th & 5th, 11th & 12th and 18th & 19th of May.